1898 ~ The Irvington Club was founded, consisting of one court on donated land.
1899 ~ The Club sponsored the first Oregon State Tournament held at Multnomah Field (now PGE Park).
1905 ~ The Club opened six courts and a clubhouse at the present location.
1906 ~ The Club joined the Pacific Northwest International Lawn Tennis Association.
1908 ~ The Club hosted the Oregon State Championships for the first time at the Irvington Club courts.
1912 ~ A two-story addition to the clubhouse was completed.
1913 ~ The Club hosted the first Portland City Tournament.
1914 ~ The Club sponsored the first Children’s Parade.
1929 ~ Hard times befell the Club; only 30 members remained.
1930 ~ Economic conditions forced The Club to sell the north half of the block on which it stands.
1947 ~ The Club’s courts were resurfaced in black asphalt. The rough, slow surface quickly wore out balls, shoes and players’ feet.
Volunteer work crews drew lines with yellow traffic paint which came off on the white balls.
1954 ~ The Club’s courts were covered in Laykold.
1957 ~ The outdoor swimming pool was built, replacing one tennis court.
1961 ~ Two front courts were covered in two-toned Plexipave (light green for the playing surface and dark green for the rest).
Various visitors declared the courts to be some of the finest surfaced courts on the West Coast.
1966 ~ The Club inaugurated its first two tournament regulation-sized indoor courts in the Pacific Northwest.
1969 ~ The Club covered two more courts.
1970 ~ The Club hosted its first Rose Festival Tennis Tournament.
1971 ~ The Club hosted its first Pacific Indoor Tennis Championships.
1973 ~ The Club celebrated its 75th anniversary.
1974 ~ Barbara Thompson became the first female president of the Board of Trustees.
1983 ~ Carolyn Lumber became the Head Pro and Tennis Director.
1986 ~ The Club members voted to ban smoking everywhere in the club except in the ballroom.
1989 ~ The Club formed a waiting list for prospective members. The Board developed The Club’s first long-range strategic plan.
1990 ~ The Club renovated the ballroom and pool. The Historical Committee formed to collect and preserve documents and photographs chronicling the Club’s history. An Irvington
Club USTA team goes to Nationals for the first time.
1997 ~ A new bath house opened, including an 8-person hot tub.
1998 ~ The Club celebrated its 100 year anniversary with a gala neighborhood barbecue. The Irvington 3.5 women’s USTA team took second
in the Nation.
2001 ~ Barbara Farmer became The Club General Manager.
2003 ~ Adam Gagnon became Tennis Director. The Club was also selected as a practice site for the Supersets Tennis Exhibition. The professional
players that practiced here included Andre Agassi, Taylor Dent, James Blake, Todd Marin, Robby Ginepri and Anna Kournikova.
2005 ~ The Club hosted one of two “Save the Doubles” events in 2005. Bob & Mike Bryan played an exhibition doubles match against Travis Parrott
and Graydon Oliver. The event also featured some coaching from the Bryan Brothers and Wayne Bryan. This event was featured on The
2006 ~ The Club’s USTA 3.0 Senior Women’s team took second in the Nation.
2007 ~ The Club hosted the adidas Kids Tennis Carnival, a pre-Davis Cup Final event. Team USA participants Bob and Mike Bryan and Mardy Fish
joined Team Russian player Mikhail Youhzny for some exciting tennis action with over 300 kids! Wayne Bryan emceed the event, which was
featured on local news stations.